House Car Run (NW Mailing List)

Mon Mar 27 20:01:58 EDT 2023

Abram,

1.) As Ken mentioned, this was a regularly scheduled train but was
dispatched to fulfil Mr. Link's requirements to create a cover photo for
his soon to be released album Thunder on Blue Ridge (1959). e.g. One
requirement/request was that no fireman, brakeman, road-foreman, etc.
were to be in the gangways as 'spectators'. Only engineers in the cab
windows looking forward. The vision this man had for all these
simultaneous projects and details amazes me to this day; AND he had a
full-time day job.

2.) All the information re Norfolk Division train crews in Roanoke was
quoted from a Mr. James B. Scott, N&W engineer (The Arrow, Vol.16 No.3)
NOT from Link's liner notes. So I guess you'll have to take up your
issues with him. I appreciate you sharing what was the typical operation
in Roanoke from calling a crew, to boarding the loco/train, to getting
orders, and normal departure tracks. I take it 16th St. was busy three
shifts a day?

John Garner

The latest post of Herr Garner, Grand Duke of Newport, Va, raises two
questions for me:

(1)  Why would the House Car Run be getting a helper eastbound up Blue
Ridge?  That says to me that the train was a "tonnage train" and not
some piddly little  handful-of-cars local.  (I do not have handy a Time
Table showing tonnages for a Y6 or Y5 east out of Roanoke.)  And why
would the engine have an A-Tank ?

(2)  Mr. Link's "liner notes" raise this question:  Why would the
Head-End Brakeman be picked up at 16th St Yard Office, Roanoke?  Those
crews reported to Shaffers Crossing.  Unless told otherwise when called,
the Conductor reported to the Hump Yard Office and picked up his
waybills;  the Flagman reported with the Conductor;   and the Head-End
Brakeman reported to the Call Office and accompanied the engine crew in
getting the engine off the Spark Track and down the Eastbound Running
Track.  The engine would stop at the Hump Building and pick up the
Conductor and Flagman.

The crew + engine stopped at 16th Street, "DO" Telegraph Office, to pick
up their Clearance Card and any Train Orders.  The Head-End Brakeman
should have been on the engine all the way from Shaffers Crossing motive
power yard, down the Running Track to 16th St Yard Office.

I think Mr. Link made a mistake in writing the liner notes.  Perhaps he
intended to say this:  "The engine stopped at 16th Street and the Head
End Brakeman went over to the Yard Office to get the Clearance Card and
Train Orders."  That would make more sense, given the way things were
done.  But it would have made even more sense if it were the Conductor
who went to "DO" 16th Street as he was in charge of the train and the
orders were addressed to "C&E," meaning Conductor and Engineman.  Almost
invariably, the Conductor got the Orders.  And besides, it would ahve
been the Conductor who went into "DO" 16th Street to enter his departing
train on the Train Register.

To continue the description of what the House Car Run crew would have
done:  After getting their Orders at "DO" 16th street, the Conductor and
Flagman dropped off the engine somewhere around 15th Street, and found
the caboose on their train.  And the Head-End Bakeman rode the engine to
Park Street, reversed into the Eastbound Departure Yard, and coupled up.
  (Norfolk Division trains were usually made up on Tracks 1 - 5 in the EB
Departure Yard;  Shenandoah Division trains on Tracks 6-7-8.  Generally,
but not always.)

The only man who may be able to answer for us this question about
procedures is Mr. Tommy Duncan, who worked the Operator's job at "DO"
16th Street in the late 1950s anbd has an excellent recall of details.
I will ask him.

In the above, I am not meaning to nit-pick.  The liner notes just jump
out at me as being out of synch with the way things were done.

-- abram burnett,