House Car Run (NW Mailing List)

Mon Mar 27 16:42:09 EDT 2023

Bruce, That is correct.

'Highball for the Double Header' was taken at a very remote location
(necessary to ford Glade Creek) immediately west of Bridge #90 between
Boaz and Bonsack. It was the location where the headend generally
stopped awaiting the pusher to get on the rear at Boaz.

I've tried for years to determine if Mr. Link had the RR place the
shanty there just for his Spring 1959 photos (it was included in
several) or if it was already there for the crews. Even the date of this
photo is confusing. Some sources say April 18. Others say April 23.
And why did Link and Ben Delaney list the photo location as "Boaz
Siding" on the back of the album? Probably because the actual location
was nameless.

I've attached a westward-looking, late afternoon view showing the same
shanty with an eastbound doubleheader starting up (NWHS image DS03629,
Bob Krone photographer). I placed an arrow on the track chart showing
the shanty's location.

Link took numerous photos at this location in April 1959. I expect he
liked the solitude it offered as he worked. David Plowden was his
assistant on this trip.

John Garner

A small sideways turn to this discussion --- that photo was recently
discussed in the N&W Facebook group. The question was about the location
of that image and it was established that it is not Boaz Siding but
actually at Bonsack.

Bruce in Blacksburg