Engine Painting

Thu Aug 18 15:13:02 EDT 2022

I'm not 100% sure about engines but there are photos of hoppers & cabooses being spray painted. The photos were taken outside! I'm sure the engines were sprayed but have no proof.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

 All

Since the list has been overly quiet for too long, I saw this posted on another group, and it got me wondering about the N&W.

The question was regarding the method of painting the steam locomotives. I kind of assumed that N&W used a spray system, but the comments regarding the question tended to indicate a number of roads brush painted by hand.

>From the original finish on the Class J, it sure looks sprayed to me. But good brush painters can get a great finish.

But in the steam era, how were locomotives painted at Roanoke Shops?

Best
Ken Miller