Engine Painting

Thu Aug 18 15:03:41 EDT 2022

All

Since the list has been overly quiet for too long, I saw this posted on another group, and it got me wondering about the N&W.

The question was regarding the method of painting the steam locomotives. I kind of assumed that N&W used a spray system, but the comments regarding the question tended to indicate a number of roads brush painted by hand.

From the original finish on the Class J, it sure looks sprayed to me. But good brush painters can get a great finish.

But in the steam era, how were locomotives painted at Roanoke Shops?

Best
Ken Miller