Coaling of New Locomotives at East End Shops

Mon Jul 4 12:24:31 EDT 2022

Chuck

All of the old timers that would know are no longer with us.

It is my understanding from conversations with Louis Newton the
locomotives moved to Shaffers Crossing for final adjustments.  He told
me about the time J 613 was involved in a rear end collision at Wallace,
VA on Oct 1953.  It did considerable damage and was sent direct to
Roanoke Shops for the heavy repair.  It was then moved to Shaffers
Crossing to make adjustments to the valve gear etc. before it went back
in service.  It seems the Westbound Main line was the testing area early
in the mornings.

I can remember as a young boy when 611 was stored at Shaffers. If it sat
for a period of time they would take it for testing before another
trip.  The West bound main line was always used at night in the early
hours of the morning for these test.  When this was done it would wake
me up and I would listen to it being tested. My parents house was about
a mile from the ML as the crow flies. My guess this was the practice
earlier at Shaffers whenever they need to test at running speed or
starting and stopping.

Jim Blackstock