N&W Neon Signs

Sat May 29 03:32:19 EDT 2021

NHWS correspondence in 2008 shows that this subject raises its head now
and then.

"http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-modeling-list/Week-of-Mon-20080414/002742.html"

When I addressed the matter of the Diesel Neon sign it was released to
market six to nine months later. I had previously (like many others)
written to Miller Engineering and sent the Railpictures photo of the
diesel Neon sign sign to them. Together with my own dimensions of the
mounting frames feet locations on the respective building roof - which
incidentally can still be viewed (and measured) on Google Earth. The
Neon signs footings (8) are on a grid of two rows by four approximately
18' deep by 40' width. I still have the files I sent Miller at the time.

Unlike yourselves I never received a reply from Miller Eng' but saw via
their next newsletter that the product had been released.

"One thing about their earlier production of the 'NW' sign was it had
red letters but a yellow border. From what I'd seen, the entire sign was
red, no yellow. I don?t know if they would consider modifying it to all
red like the signs, if that?s indeed what it was, it would be nice. I?d
asked them about it back when, but they didn't seem pleased to have that
point raised.

Phil Miller"

A mute point, I always thought it was all red, the photo I sent Miller
seemed that way, perhaps there was some modelling interpretation here?
Remember Miller prides itself in making Neon signs that are automated in
their colour sequences and may therefore have decided to go interpret
their own version in order to appeal to a wider market? Personally I
would like this issue of colour confirmed as I am currently designing a
Gauge 3 (64mm gauge 1:22.5 scale) version of the Diesel Neon sign and
would like to get the details correct. My large scale version (like my
*Roanoke Star*) is intended to use Electroluminescence Wire. As a by the
way, does anybody know the cut-off date of the Steam to Diesel Neon sign
changeover AND The colour pattern(s) of the Roanoke Star after September
12th 2011

--
Yours Sincerely.

Robert 'Doddy' Sumsion