B&O express cars in N&W trains?

Thu Dec 17 18:31:55 EST 2020

Cool, thank you!  If anyone has photos of these offline cars in Roanoke, please share.

Brent
________________________________
Dr. J. Brent Greer
________________________________
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 4:31 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: B&O express cars in N&W trains?

I have never seen any photos of B&O mail or express cars in any consist of Shenandoah Division trains 1-2 and 13-14. These trains had consists with little variation. When day trains 13-14 had close connections with PRR Harrisburg-Hagerstown trains, I have seen photos of PRR B60 baggage and R50 express reefers on 13-14. The last passenger trains on the line were trains 1-2. There was a regular Harrisburg-Roanoke PRR B60 sealed express car, and the N&W baggage-RPO, set out at Hagerstown. In time, 1-2 became Roanoke-Harrisburg trains with a power change at Hagerstown. By 1958 the B60 was gone and the N&W car continued on to Harrisburg deadhead or "closed pouch" in US Post Office speak. You were more likely to see "off line" sleeping cars on trains 1-2. I personally saw a SP heavyweight once and an ACL car in addition to the regular N&W S1 Budd sleeper.
A lot of mail and express was transferred every day between N&W and B&O trains at Shenandoah Junction.

If B&O cars were on N&W trains, it would be more likely that the connection was through Cinncinati. The photos of off line M&E cars in Roanoke are more reflective of coming from the end points, like Memphis, of the Southern system. MP and KCS are cars I have seen in Roanoke photos.

--Rick Morrison

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: Location Guesses?

Are there any photos of B&O mail or express cars in N&W trains? Perhaps coming down the line from Hagerstown?

Brent