Location Guesses?

Thu Dec 17 01:35:10 EST 2020

The existance of a hand tinted copy of this photograph is revealing.  Bruce D. Fales (1908-1993) was the photographer.  His history as a rail photographer goes back at least to the 1930's.  He was from the Silver Spring, MD .  He printed and sold photos over the decades, so his prints got widely circulated.  In my memory from the 1970's and 80's Bruce sold his b&w photos at train shows.  He had a heat stamp of his signature which he impressed in a prominent place on the photos, and not near the margins. I know of one buyer who complained and asked Fales why he did this. Fales said he did it because people reproduced his photos and he didn't get credit for his work. All his negatives were b&w, so in his elder years he took to hand tinting his prints.  The bulk of his work was B&O and PRR as I recall, but he did have a smaller number of N&W negatives. His total collection must have numbered in the thousands and was sold upon his death.  Jay Williams, also a seller at train shows, bought most of the negatives.  I once asked Williams what happened to the N&W negatives, and he said he didn't know Fales had any N&W.  In going through a stack of his hand tints at a Gaithersburg show in the 1980's I found a 1940's print of a streamlined K2 at the PRR/N&W station in Hagerstown.  I bought it and had it framed. I remember seeing some other N&W photos. The price he asked for these prints was not cheap. At that time Fales was frail and he had a much younger person assisting him at his sales table.

I found Bruce Fales name at this website: http://www.railphoto-art.org/memorable/

--Rick Morrison

  Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 9:22 PM
  Subject: Re: Location Guesses?

  So all the Southern cars got tinted red instead of green.

  Jim Nichols

  The NWHS archives has a "tinted" version of this photo. On the photo it shows "Bruce D. Fales Photo" (text under the passenger cars).

  https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=96862

  I updated the archives database entry with the info supplied by Ken & Rick. (Thanks!)

  - Roger Link

    Ken Miller is correct.  In checking a 1937 N&W timetable the Memphis Special
    is the only Southern train which could be photographed in the Roanoke
    vacinity in daylight.  Both the Birmingham Special (17-18) and the New York,
    Chattanooga and New Orleans Limited (41-42) passed through Roanoke either
    after dark or very early in the morning.  The new streamlined Tennessean
    replaced the Memphis Special on much the same schedule except eastbound its
    Roanoke stop was about 3 hours earlier in the afternoon.  Number 41-42 was
    renamed The Pelican in the late 1940's.

    --Rick Morrison