Re: Fw: A Special Thank You To All Of America’s Veterans!

Thu Nov 12 18:48:29 EST 2020

Thanks Norris.  I spent two years in the US Army Signal Corps at Fort
Monmouth on the North Jersey Coast, the home of the Signal Corps at that
time.  I was assigned to Research and Development Company, SCEL
Battalion (Signal Corp Electronic Laboratory), Radio Suppression
Systems.  A railroad-related assignment that I had was to go to General
Electric's test track at Erie, PA, to run radio interference tests on a
special diesel locomotive that GE had built for the Army Transportation
Corps for use in various foreign countries.  This diesel could be
adjusted to multiple tracks gauges and coupling arrangements and adapted
for either vacuum or air brakes, and it had an aluminum hood to keep
weight down for foreign loading gauges.   It passed our radio
interference tests.

I later heard that it was subsequently transferred to the D&RGW
Railroad, and saw some service there.

Gordon Hamilton