West Jefferson

Sat Oct 3 10:59:30 EDT 2020

Paul
I have found a little more about WJ. I was wrong about the depot. Looks like it was on the east side of the tracks. Only part of the building was saved and moved to its current location. The tobacco warehouse was probably not served by the railroad. There is a house still standing that I have heard called the Railroad House. The water tank must have been pretty close to this house. The cheese plant was built in the 30s along the spur line. Don’t know if they ever used to train for shipping. Livestock was brought into the area from the Dust Bowl in the 1930s. The stockyards were still having sales in the early 70s. The Ford dealership started in 1919. I believe it was on the corner of Main St and 3rd Avenue. Cars were probably brought in on the train?
There is a scene in a Pocahontas Glory video with crossties on the Abington Branch going to the Radford Tie plant. They could be coming from the tie dealer in WJ?   I will attach the map again with a few more notes.   Maybe this will help.                   John Baldwin