Passing of Virginian Historian/Author Tom Salmon

Fri Oct 2 13:17:02 EDT 2020

 It is with great sadness that I pass on the news received last night of
the passing of Tom (Saltwater)Salmon this past Monday.  Many of you knew
Tom personally from NWHS Conventions and Virginian Crazies weekends in
Mullens.  Many more of you know him from his writings for the Arrow and his
postings on this list. Many of us participated in his latest Mystery Photo
contest.

Tom was an extremely diligent and hard working researcher.  In trying to
unravel the facts and the legend about the very early days of the Virginian
he traveled to various document repositories, copied materials, and
published the results in his writing and conversation. The current series
in the Arrow about the early days of the Virginian is the result of an
incredible number of hours digging into and digesting correspondence and
business records that are well over 100 years old.

Tom was also an avid modeler and collector; within the past year he posted
pictures from a model railroad club that he was active in, down in
Florida.  He was also one of the two “Owners” of this Group.  In that
capacity he did almost all of the work in transferring the data, including
membership, photos, and files, from Yahoo to GroupIO, and made the payment
for the first year.

Railroad history in general, and Virginian history in particular, have
suffered another major loss.  The Virginian Crazies now have another name
to put on our departed members plaque in Mullens.  And a lot of us have
lost a very good friend.

Tom’s wife, Judy, came to Mullens a few times.  We appreciated her
personality, her patience, and her sense of humor.  Our sympathy,
condolences, and best wishes go out to her.

Frank Bongiovanni