Fw: Former NS Zero-Emission Locomotive “999” Restored For Use In California

Sat Jun 20 12:36:32 EDT 2020

After reading this story I think you will see a parallel between the vintage N&W “Jawn Henry” steam turbine locomotive developed in the 1950’s as an economical alternative to N&W’s aging traditional steam powered and coal fired locos. Ironically it had design issues that were never completely worked out so with most railroads changing over to traditional diesel powered locomotives the N&W did also. The parallel that that I am referring to is that NS 999 never was used in active service before being retired. I am so happy to see that he 999 is going to be restored to operating condition. Maybe it will still end up being a competitive loco for diesel powered locomotives. Time will tell.
Stay well and safe!
Norris

Norris Deyerle

Blue Ridge Chapter, National Railway Historical Society Chairman of Virginia's Rail Heritage Region Partners

Info: www.blueridgenrhs.org<http://www.blueridgenrhs.org>

744 Chinook Place

Lynchburg, Virginia 24502-4908

Zero-Emission Locomotive “999” Restored For Use In California

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/19/zero-emission-locomotive-999-restored-for-use-in-california/