ACL R-1

Sat May 30 07:39:11 EDT 2020

Most particularly the Western Maryland 4-6-6-4s.

- Ed King

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 12:23 AM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: ACL R-1

Baldwin built some fine engines but they seemed to have a lot of issues with balancing. I've read accounts of other engines with that problem like the NH I-5 Hudsons.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

When they were delivered the drivers were badly out of balance.
500 pounds of lead was removed from the counter weight on each main driver; after that they could run smoothly at 100 mph.

Ron

  Back to the original question of using an R-1 on your model railroad.  The answer is that it’s your railroad and you can use the R-1 any way you want to.  If anyone objects to you using one on an empty hopper train,, just don’t invite them to your layout again.

  The R-1s were not satisfactory locomotives.  their counterbalancing was so poorly done that they could not be used in the passenger services for which they were intended.  So the 80=inch drivered machines were used in fast freight service.

  They were good-looking engines, though.

  - Ed King