NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 185, Issue 18

Sun Apr 12 16:05:28 EDT 2020

Bill; for 30 years now I've been giving a clinic on prototype freelancing,
and part of it is finding your own threshold of tolerance.  Yes: it's your
layout.  Yes: you make the rules.  You get decide if you'll let nit pickers
in, if you'll let them talk, and if you'll let it bother you. And Uncle Ed
always says that it's your layout: do what you like.  But I find for most
of us it's not that simple.  A friend of mine liked the N&W, he wanted to
run some different stuff, he developed a freelance line called The Cover
River, which had--historical fantasy--bought control of the N&W.  His J had
a green stripe, and was lettered for the Clover River.  It didn't bother
him.

My rule is that You have to Like what You see in your basement.  If an N&W
2-8-2 doesn't bother you, cool.  But you sound like it might.  How about
one of the N&W connections that had Mikes, letter it for the connection,
have trackage rights, or model the connection, or even the "occasional"
diversion.  For a flood, or derailment, or work train, or ???  I'm thinking
that we have pictures of an N&W J on the Virginian for such an occasion.
Look for places where there are multiple connections.  My interest in N&W
developed because I was modeling a freelance road for years (before I got
bit by the Virginian bug), wanted a connection with a coal hauler, wanted
to run a variety of steam, and stumbled on Hagerstown, Maryland: N&W, B&O,
WM, almost the Reading.  Even though I'm mostly modeling the Virginian, I
have a lot of time flexibility: my ELCs run next to steam that was long
gone when they showed up.

Have fun.  This is a hobby.  As Ricky Nelson said; You can't please
everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Frank Bongiovanni