Signal aspect deviations - At Cleveland

Sun Feb 9 06:04:38 EST 2020

Harry,

     While the eastbound main was right along and north of the Rapid
Transit, the Southside switching lead flanked it on the south. One night
I "doubled" off a second trick yard job onto one that worked the
Southside. The Southside got its switching on third track since the
Rapid did not run revenue trains from midnight to 5. The yard foreman
(conductor) didn't know me from Adam so put me as headman and had me
line the engine into the sidings and wait at the switching lead while he
and his buddy worked the scrap yards and other small shippers. I would
line them in and get in a position where I could pass hand siganls, if
needed. (pre-radio days) Needless to say, by 3 a.m. time, tiredness,
boredom and the circadian rythm caught up with me. But I got a real shot
of adrenaline when a Rapid Transit work train stopped about 10' from me
as I stood asleep fouling the track they were on. Fortunately, my crew
did not see this napping on two feet, so I never became a subject of
washroom chatter or acquired a nickname I might not have liked to own.

     Harry Cumbo was a creature to fear for me. I only worked with him a
few times, but when he told me to do something it had to be grasped and
executed without repeat of his words. The first time I worked a puller
as headman from E55th to the Wheeling Campbell Road yard via the Erie,
he rode along with me. We stopped at Belt line Jct to get our arrival
track destination, and he told me to make the call, but not where the
phone box was. I got off the engines and staggered around a bit until he
had to come out and point out where it was. I got the number and  asked
him how to get us to that track. He said the tracks were bunched off the
lead in groups, like 1-6 and 7-14, so I could figure it out from that.
Easy enough, except as we approached the body of the yard I saw a
caboose track and tracks that might be yard tracks or leads into to
Republic Steel. Those could have been numbered 1-6. So was I going to
line us into Republic or choose another route? Which one was 1, so I
could get us to 6? On the footboard, I got no help from the hogger, as
he followed the old yard practice of "double units-double slow" and we
had 4 ALCo C type switchers, m.u.'d so we were barely moving. I could
have gotten off the engine and walked forward and left the train in the
dust. But I knew I was not going to make us stop and back-up. So I asked
again, got a derisive dressing down and he did the work. For 3 months I
had been able to memorize every track I had been on around Cleveland,
but I got a mental block from Harry's lecture and always had to get help
from the other crew members to find my way into - but not out of -
Campbell Road. And he kept me on a short lease the times we worked at
E55th. I usually worked the field on those jobs, but he had me pull pins
only. I had lost his confidence.

     WJPowers