Photo Detective Follow-up

Sat Feb 1 10:33:30 EST 2020

Thanks to all - the photo detectives have rendered a verdict, and my
"local" postcards are not so local. Too bad - I was hoping to add some new
images to the NWHS database!

Upon close inspection, the sign on the building was definitely Alpha
Portland Cement. What I found in my search, after Ken Miller pointed us in
the right direction, was that Alpha Portland was a huge concern, with
plants in several states. All of the images I found show these plants were
made of, what else, cement. None of the Alpha Portland images on my Google
path contained buildings made of wood. Except for the one I've posted here
(NJ).

So I have a working theory, but it only muddies the water further. The
image I posted the other day, which was obtained from a Salem dealer and
was proclaimed to be "local", could be just about any town in America. The
sign on the building could simply be a dealer's poster for Alpha, something
that was hung out to verify this was an authorized agent for the Alpha
brand of cement.

This will make for a nice blog post for someone, but I'm moving on to more
"local" interests. 'Til next time...

Stephen Warren
Roanoke

[image: s-l1600-2.jpg]