S-1a whistle

Fri Jan 31 10:54:07 EST 2020

Is anyone familiar with either a video or audio recording of a S1 or S1a whistle? Like Roger I have yet to encounter any such recording.  Thanks.

John Garner

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:35 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: S-1a whistle

They used the standard N&W whistle same as all N&W locomotives S1 use the same thing .never use a C&O whistle.  of course then there was the Hancocks on Passenger power

Larry Evans

"There's the sun, there's the moon, there's the air we breathe, and

there's the Rolling Stones"  Keith Richards

I don't know. I have some recordings of 0-8-0's switching the Roanoke passenger station but naturally, no whistle use. I vaguely remember someone saying they were different than the hooters used on the larger steamers and smaller engine whistles like on 475. I was "talking" along time ago with a C&O fan and he said the S-1a used a copy of the S-1 whistle from the C&O. Supposedly a bit more appealing than those used on most M's.

Roger Huber

Deer Creek Locomotive Works

I thought it was a standard N&W freight whistle.

Sincerely,

Joseph Congemi

I seem to remember some discussion once about the whistles used on the S-1a class. Does anyone remember what it sounded like?