Crewe stand in

Mon Apr 22 10:01:53 EDT 2019

It is indeed 1723, it was removed from commuter service in 1981 with all the other cars. All were sent back to Roanoke and retired. This one was donated to Tidewater Chapter NRHS and served with little work in the excursion trains until, I believe 1992, when the new expensive requirements for excursion cars was too much for the group to bear and the cars were stored.

Sometime, and I don’t know the year, maybe 2009, the car was sold/donated to the Crewe Railroad Museum and “restored” by a contractor, who was too cheap to get the proper lettering and stencils done, but charged the museum a pretty penny for the work.

Ken Miller