Rorer Iron/Narrow Gauge RR Crossing at Roanoke Alms House

Sun Jan 27 17:37:57 EST 2019

Jim,

Thanks for the push. I believe you are right, the (eventual) junction,
which was actually a siding, is referenced there in the fine print of the
W-S blueprint I posted (as Gordon pointed out to me yesterday at GOB-E). My
best guess at the moment is that the W-S line crossed the NG in 1891,
having secured a deed to do so, with every expectation that Rorer Iron
would be loaded at that siding within a few years.

Recall the blue-tinted photos of the Rorer Iron Company's washers, which we
have in the archives. As you and I have discussed, these images refer to
the later location located just below the Alms House, not the Wasena Park
site.

We start to see the N&W annual reports mention the Rorer Mine junction, and
I'm thinking we saw that around 1895 in the ARs. I'll post more about this,
after I sort through some of the maps I was able to scan at GOB-E
yesterday.

Stephen Warren, Roanoke