Peavine train numbers

Fri Sep 21 08:32:11 EDT 2018

Good morning!
Various members of my family worked on the N & W, so I have heard stories
all my life about the railroad.  One of the things my mother used to tell
me that when she was in elementary school (in Welch, WV),  the railroad
held a contest for the kids to help name the new trains.  That's when
someone suggested the  Powatan Arrow and Pocohontas names, which the N & W
adopted.
Now I know that family stories aren't always accurate,  but they sure can
be interesting,  if nothing else!

-Tracy Foutz
Formerly N&W in Roanoke, now ACL in Cairo, GA