N&W Winston-Salem Station

Fri Aug 3 12:33:45 EDT 2018

Don’t have my exact references handy at the moment, but trains 21 and 22 were renumbered 11 and 12 sometime in the early 1950s.

The sleeper’s destination was changed from Cincinnati to Columbus sometime in the mid 1950s and discontinued sometime in 1958. The trains remained until February 18, 1961 when discontinued.

The railroad however, in part of its effort to discontinue the trains advertised in its timetables that “Norfolk and Western tickets between Roanoke, VA and Winston-Salem, NC will be honored by Atlantic Greyhound Corporation.”

Photos in our archives include:

http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=94817

http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=21614

http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=21849

There are several others, but they are basically variations on the same location as the last one above.

Ken Miller