Whoa! Who was that Message sender we haven't seen in a dog's age?

Fri Jul 13 10:14:28 EDT 2018

Whoa! Who was the masked man we haven't seen ANY messages from for a while?

Glad you are feeling better. Stay healthy and welcome back.

Bob Cohen

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:37:40 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Forty years ago

I'll never forget...82 days that lasted about 5 years.  I was brought in to
Shaffers crossing to instruct brand new engineers how to operate the Alco
630 slug masters with two slugs.  This lasted a day and then I was flown to
Bellevue where I thought I was going to operate such yard movements.  I was
mistaken when I was found out to actually have road service experience was
handed a stack of bills and told to report to get a set of road locos for a
trip to Buffalo.  First trip with Carl Carbo as my helper took over 30
hours.  For the next 80 days I took 55 trains, mostly out of Bellevue:
about half to Buffalo and half to Chicago.  I learned to take my suitcase
and all the food and drinks I could carry on every trip.  I also took one
train from Detroit to Toledo in "dark territory" and found out what train
orders are really for. Hurrah for  the VGN!  Ran over a lot of cross ties,
one aluminum boat near Lake Erie somewhere and was able to watch Welch's
grapes being picked and the great smell of Welch's grape jelly being made.
Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.....

Skip

wrote:

>     On 7/10/2018 9:31 AM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:
>

>     July 10, 1978 -- with respect to all N&W employees, do you remember
where
>     you were that day ?  Skip ?  Jungle Jim ? Jimmy ?   Me ?  the Travel
Bureau
>     had booked a flight for me Roanoke - Fort Wayne, and I had reserved a
motel
>     room to layover for a drive to Montpelier the next day.  About 4 PM,
word from
>     the Supt. of Transportation was transmitted -  "Nobody goes
anywhere."  But
>     that night instead of Fort Wayne, I was on a chartered flight to
Cleveland.

              Harry Bundy