Ex-Wabash domes

Thu Jul 5 16:22:10 EDT 2018

According to the Society Archives' Roster, the N&W inherited six Dome cars from the Wabash.  As-constructed, the four Budd-built cars had fluted sides and the two Pullman-built cars had smooth sides:

Wabash #1601, Dome-Parlor-Observation car, built with fluted sides by Budd in 1950.  (I have never seen a photograph of this car re-lettered to N&W)
Wabash #1602, Dome Coach, built with smooth sides by Pullman in 1952.  Re-lettered and numbered N&W #1602.
Wabash #200, Dome Coach, built with fluted sides by Budd in 1950.  Re-lettered and numbered N&W #1610.
Wabash #201, Dome Coach, built with fluted sides by Budd in 1950.  Re-lettered and numbered N&W #1611.

Wabash #202, Dome Coach, built with fluted sides by Budd in 1950.  Re-lettered and numbered N&W #1612.

Wabash #203, Dome Coach, built with smooth sides by Pullman in 1958.  Re-lettered and numbered N&W #1613.  (This car was originally lettered and numbered for Wabash, but was painted in Union Pacific's "Armour Yellow" colors to operate in pool service as part of the "City of St. Louis."  It was later re-lettered and re-numbered for N&W, but again painted in Union Pacific's "Armour Yellow" colors.  Later still, it was painted "Pevler Blue.")

Bill King
Arlington, VA