Shenandoah Division question

Fri Jul 21 12:07:39 EDT 2017

The trains operated as PRR 645 and 638 between Hagerstown and Harrisburg.
The last steam operation on trains 1 and 2 was February 19, 1957.  K2 129
powered the last southbound train.

There was always an engine change at Hagerstown.  It worked that even after
the switch to diesels.  PRR dropped 645 and 638 January 25, 1962 leaving no
link to Harrisburg.  N&W dropped 1 and 2 north of Waynesboro May 19, 1962.
N&W 1 and 2 pretty much were the consist all the way to Harrisburg except
for the postal-baggage car being cut out at Hagerstown.  In 1958 after the
tracks thru Hagerstown were elevated to eliminate crossings, the
postal-baggage ran unmanned on to Harrisburg.  For years a PRR B60 baggage
ran as a sealed storage mail car Harrisburg-Roanoke.  That ended in 1958-9.
In May 1957 PRR stopped handling REA shipments on 645 and 638, and instead
trucked REA to stations on their line.

As far as sleeper operation, every time I rode or saw 1 and 2 in the 1950's
the sleeper was a Budd S1. I have seen a photo of a PRR sleeper in UP colors
on one of these trains in Roanoke.  I also recall two occasions seeing a
second sleeper on the train.  One time on a very late northbound train was
an ACL car besides the N&W car.  The rarest car I saw in the consist was an
SP heavyweight 6 compartment 3 drawing room car.

--Rick Morrison

Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:12 PM
Subject: Shenandoah Division question