when?

Tue Feb 28 11:37:07 EST 2017

Bill

I cannot directly answer the question, but I suspect it was more than one unit that was in tuscan with the "hamburger" herald. I know it was planned. I think the plates began to come off as units were shopped and painted after about 1962, as with most things it was not always an across the board change.

Just as a side note, the "hamburger" heralds that were used on the passenger geeps were and are Scotchlite material, it was called gold, not yellow. Gold is more of a reddish yellow, than pure yellow. These decals (I have a dozen or so of them) were either silk screened or painted with tuscan and later the blue directly onto the scotchlite material. They were then covered with a masking medium (think masking tape only to full size) and applied to the units after primer and before final paint. Then the mask was pulled off, revealing the herald and it was, more or less, level with the paint. Naturally, the paint on the scotchlite tended to fade and wash quicker than the paint on the carbody, due to the slicker material, so late in life, you see some units with nothing but a circle where the heralds are on the cabside.

Today, some 50 years on, the tape is nearly impossible to get off, once I can pull them from my storage building, I'm going to try some new materials as a solvent and see if I can peel them better. The adhesive on the herald itself is also tight to the backing, and would never stick to a unit today. I spent about 4 hours over a few days peeling the masking off one of these 25 years ago, to varying degrees of success. Hopefully the chemical idea will work better today.

The lettering was the same material, as mentioned previously, but I am not absolutely certain exactly how it was provided and applied, if it was applied with a masking material, then the final paint was applied, or if it was applied after the paint.

Ken Miller