when?

Tue Feb 28 09:40:45 EST 2017

The transition to "Hamburger" heralds came before blue became standard. Thus, Wabash and NKP repaints did not get script heralds. (The early ones were black) Sidelight: a few passenger Geeps were painted blue and sent west to the former Wabash during the summer of 1965, months before blue became standard. When my late uncle Campbell told me about seeing them pass Tug Tower, I did not believe him. Later I learned that he was reporting something many of us outside Roanoke did not know.
Jim Nichols

 This query got me thinking about another aspect of the painting schemes of the passenger GP-9s.  On at least one unit, the transition from Tuscan Red to Pevler Blue did not coincide with the change from Gothic Heralds to “Hamburger” logos.
On page 122 of the book “Norfolk and Western Passenger Service 1946-1971” is a color photo of GP-9 #501.  It’s painted Tuscan Red, but it has a “Hamburger” logo on the cab side and hood end, not Gothic heralds.  Also, the “Hamburger” logo on the hood end is applied directly to the car body, not a metal plate.
Did any other passenger GP-9s have a transitional appearance like the 501?
Finally, I suppose it would be too outlandish to suggest if the reverse ever happened: a passenger GP-9 painted Pevler Blue with Gothic Heralds.  So I won’t ask that question.
Jim Nichols

 When did the N&W acquire the Tuscan painted engines? and the blue painted one? Walter Davis, Youngsville NC