Island Yard and Kinney Yard

Sun Oct 16 16:25:37 EDT 2016

Up until 1965 or so Island Yard was still in use, although much of the structures,were no longer utilized. N&W, Southern, and C&O made interchange with one another several times daily and NC Cabin (C&O owned) controlled the connections of the three railroads in this area. Also, the westbound Phoebe Turn came through usually  just after the Powhatan Arrow went east about 8pm. N&W made several transfers between Island and Kinney daily using the old main line to Durham Junction and then by Twelfth Street Station to Kinney.  Southern similarly made several daily transfers between its old downtown yard and Montview using its old main line to Durmid where it connected to the "new" main line about a mile south of Kemper St. station.

Passenger service on the old N&W main through Island Yard ended 12/31/64 when it was moved to the "new" main line through Kinney.  Freight service gradually dwindled. The old N&W main was abandoned from Concord to Halsey and the Durham line abandoned from Durham Junction to Kinney. By the early 1980s this was all gone.

   Ray Smoot

Sent from my iPad