Thu Aug 25 13:39:12 EDT 2016

The N&W converted at least two locomotives to oil burners in December 1946 as the result of the second coal strike of the year.  The first started on April 1, 1946 and essentially lasted for 52 days.

A second strike was scheduled for Nov 20, 1946. On Nov 16 the government seized the nations supply. On Nov 18 the government ordered a 25% reduction in train passenger service operated by coal burning locomotives. The strike started on Nov 20.

On Nov 29 the N&W announced it was converting some of its locomotives from coal to oil to be able to continue rail service. By Nov 29 the N&W had discontinued 13 of its passenger runs, including the Powhatan Arrow, and taken over 50% of its locomotives out of service and stored them.

On Dec 3 the government ordered 25% of passenger service stopped on all railroads. Only essential freight was to be moved to save fuel. Parcel post packages were limited to 5 pounds at the height of the Christmas season.

Train No. 23, headed by oil-fired No. 107 pulled into Bluefield the night of Dec 4. The oil-burning K-1 was sent to Bluefield to power Trains 9 and 10 running between Bluefield and Williamson.

The second oil burner came out of the Roanoke shops on Dec 5, the same day the N&W announced it was cutting another 12 passenger trains from the schedule. The N&W noted it had several other engines in Roanoke being converted, but the actual number to be converted depending on the strike. By Dec 5 the N&W had laid about 3,000 employees.

On Dec 7 the N&W announced it was laying off another 1,450 employees. Two hours after the layoff announcement the strike was called off.

On Dec 9 the N&W announced:

“In view of our experience this year with the uncertainties of the coal supply and the implied threat of further trouble next sptring, the several engines converted to oil burners during the national coal strike will ne be reconverted to coal burners at this time. After making test runs of the various districts to determine where they can be used to the best advantage, the locomotives will be set aside for use in future emergency.”

You can read about the coal crisis of 1946 on pages 271-274 of my book “Coalwood,” which is available through the commissary.

Alex Schust