Green Frog N&W Video

Fri Aug 12 23:17:54 EDT 2016

Well, I finally got the time to watch my new DVD from Green Frog on the N&W. It's called The Golden Twilight Of Postwar Steam, Part 5, Steam on the Norfolk & Western Railway. It's 55 minutes long and was filmed by Frank W. Schlegel in 1959-60 on 8mm film. The transfer to DVD is okay, not the best I've seen but any movies of N&W steam are more than welcome to me.
It started a little odd to me with C&O trains in Charlottesville and Virginia Blue Ridge steam but even that was worth it.

Overall, it's a very good film with a lot of action, most of which is around Roanoke and Blue Ridge, naturally. Many Ys switching in Roanoke with plenty of S class 0-8-0s running around too. Just a little A class footage which may disappoint some but considering the years it was filmed very expected. Some good Y action on mine runs is nice. Even a little bit of Virginian and some Southern diesels in Roanoke too.

There are even some items for the nitpickers to complain about like a Y being called a 2-6-6-4, an S-1 being labeled as a W class and a couple other minor things like wrong numbers being called out for engines so there's something for everyone here.
I enjoyed seeing several shots of new Redbird passenger GP-9s in break in service. Having ridden quite a few of them when new they hold a special place in my love for the N&W.

I was surprised seeing a CF cabin car being spray painted outside. I would have expected the N&W had a paint shop for that sort of thing. Several shots of shiny CF cabins and a C-3 going down the hump too.

I heard some new terms which I can't verify as correct or not such as "SX yard" and "pull up man".

Anyway, for $12.98 I really can't find anything significant to complain about with this latest N&W movie from Green Frog. I'm very glad to have it in my video library. I highly recommend it to all N&W fans and fans of large steam.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works