The other side of the mountain

Wed Jun 8 10:18:35 EDT 2016

Alex,
Thanks so much for the entries from the Coaldale Branch revaluation survey
of October 1916.  I pieced them together with the Society's document
HS-D10246 to form a scale picture of what the spur might have looked like
at that time.  One thing that was interesting to me was that the tipple
depicted in 1916 appears to have been located prior to the sharp curve in
the spur where it bent back around the mountain at about the mid-point of
the spur.  The "L" shaped outline of the tipple shown on the survey leads
me to believe that this would have been the second tipple at Coaldale
because the tipple in the picture I sent would have had a straight,
rectangular outline.  This would be in keeping with the upgrading and
replacement rate for such faciliities in other locations during this
period.  For example, the first tipple was built at Crumpler after the turn
of the century.  This wooden tipple was completely replaced by a new steel
facility in the early 'teens and then a brand new tipple was constructed to
replace that one in the early '30s.  Things were evolving quickly and makes
the job of piecing together how things looked at a particular point in time
quite challenging.  All of your efforts in this area are to be most highly
commended.
As to the relation of the Coaldale mine to the West portal of the New
Elkhorn tunnel, based on my crude scale map, it would seem that the closest
that the spur tracks came would be roughly 500 feet from the W. portal and
there may have been a significant difference in elevation as well that I
cannot determine from the information that I have.  So, it would appear
that the new tunnel did not utilize any of the existing works from the Mill
Creek/Coaldale mining operations.
Thanks again for your help.
Jim Cochran.