Buford's Gap

Sat Feb 27 00:34:36 EST 2016

Google has a number of BUFORD'S GAP entries, including a Wikipedia piece
and a paragraph in The Union Army: Cyclopedia of Battles, regarding a 20
June 1864 minor action at Buford's Gap.

The most comprehensive Google article is "Bufords of Bedford County,
VA," sketching the story of the four Buford brothers who would become
prominent landowners in today's Blue Ridge-Montvale area.

The Gap straddles the line between Bedford and Botetourt Counties, VA,
at MP 245.63 (12733+18.9) on the N&W mainline just east of Blue Ridge.
That's a stone's throw east beyond the east end (12738 approx.) of the
utility pusher siding running off the EB main back to opposite the Blue
Ridge station.  Some years ago I walked the entire Blue Ridge trackage
area; as I recall the maximum trackage elevation is at the
"photographer's bridge east"--12721+11.7--(not the celebrated
"photographer's bridge west" about a mile west of the Blue Ridge
station), on a private road serving a small development. (Locations from
the 6/16 N&W track map)  From that bridge you could spot, until
demolition in the late '50s, the Villamont tower on the WB main.

In my V30, n1/Arrow /Blue Ridge grades article several years ago, I
refer to Buford's Gap at several points.  The main photo, from the NWHS
archives, has pusher Y6 2135 at Blue Ridge; the head-end power, out of
sight, already would have passed through the center of the Gap and
likely photographer's bridge east, too.  All:  pause and fancy a
hooter's blast.

Frank Gibson