Question about Virginian Class AE operations following Clarks Gap electri...

Sun Aug 2 20:58:54 EDT 2015

Granddad (W.R. Bloyd) retrieved a brass boiler washout plug from the
wreckage of the 800 and had one of the machinists at Victoria lathe-turn it into
a paperweight for him, which sits on my desk today. There's a picture of it
 on the Virginian Yahoo site under "Virginian artifacts'. He said he had to
have  a piece of it, since a week prior to the explosion, he had reported
the same  injector problem that had caused it.

Greg Harrod

Ed,

I was hanging out at JK, perhaps a  decade after you were there, and Mr.
Weatherly told me the same story. He also  drove to the site of the blow-up
after getting off duty that morning. The  sights he saw that morning would
raise the hair on the necks of  the hardiest of men.

A true tragedy of the rails.

Jeff Sanders

Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2015  7:56 AM
Subject: Re: Question about  Virginian Class AE operations following Clarks
Gap  electrification

The late Clyde Weatherly was working  at JK Tower that morning and handed
up 800’s orders, caught by the head  brakeman.  Clyde told me that the
engineer had his head down as if  already asleep.  The fireman was a brand new man
who fired it on the  westbound trip and tried to lay off the eastbound; he
didn’t think he could  handle it, but there was nobody to relieve him.

EdKing