wrecks and their aftermaths

Sun Aug 2 20:56:10 EDT 2015

Until more modern times, the newspapers would give quite grisly
descriptions of the crew's conditions. Several I recall reading in the
papers described, a head here, an arm or leg there, a foot, or even
sometimes totally dis-embowled. One particularly graphic account I recall
them saying they still hadn't found the engineer's head when the body was
sent to the undertaker. Others involved running over people falling on the
tracks, and those were particularly nasty.

I think that sometime around the WW 1 era they got a lot less graphic about
the descriptions.

Bob Cohen