N&W K2a builder Plate? (NW Mailing List)

Sun Jul 19 10:02:31 EDT 2015

In a recent video we did "Norfolk & Western Steam In Transition" for
sale by the NWHS, there is footage of many dead engines going through
Batavia, Ohio en route to scrap in Cincinnati.  Unfortunately, most of
the engines all had the numbers painted out after being sold to the
scrappers.
The footage does show several different K2a locomotives on the "local"
heading westbound toward Clare, so I would assume the information you
have on 135 is correct and that it was scrapped in Cincinnati.  Of
hand I do not recall the scene, but there is a shot in Jan 59 at
Portsmouth with some
dead engines including a K2a.  Some of those engines were scrapped in
Cincinnati, including Class A 1232(Had the number chalked on it).  I
seem to
remember a number 13? in that dead line.  So my guess is that its
pretty likely it was scrapped there, but unless someone has a list or
some note from a book
to verify exactly, I am only taking an educated guess.  The reason I
say it came from Portsmouth, or further east was that at the end of
steam I do not believe
any engines were left dead in Cincinnati (CUT) for scrapping, as
whenever they needed extra power it was generally sent west from
Portsmouth(601,603,613).
Hope that helps.
Greg Scholl