611

Mon Jun 15 17:43:35 EDT 2015

Some thoughts about #1218 and # 2156.  During my last visit to VMT, I was told that # 1218 is missing some valve gear parts.
They were not installed when the loco left Birmingham shops for display in Roanoke.  And they were 'lost' when the Birmingham
shop was closed and sold.  So - is that the case; and would NS want to fund manufacture of the replacements, plus the long list
needed to restore # 1218 to operation ?

Gets more complicated with # 2156, all the parts seem to be there.  Two biggest expenses:  dealing with the asbestos lagging,
and replacement of the boiler tubing (likely required because the fires were dropped 55 years ago).  But even more of a question:
ownership.  The owner is St. Louis MOT.  The 5 year loan agreement seems to provide for cosmetic restoration; doubtful if it
includes provision for a major class repair to achieve operation.  Anyone out there have input ?

Jerome Crosson, NWHS West, St. Peters MO.