whistles

Tue Jun 9 16:21:43 EDT 2015

While, I, too, far prefer originality and historical accuracy, for an
occasional planned event or recording session, to put the 2156's whistle on
611 (presuming it IS the proper one for that and/or similar class members,
really IS a good idea. Let's get all the recording guys out there, the
digitrax-modellers who set such things up and have a real good run one
particular day or weekend of trips and record the heck out of the
dad-blamed thing.

Sure, it is not the "real" original whistle but just think what avenues it
will open for all interested parties for the future. I remember that after
the 1401 was placed in the Smithsonian, that Graham Claytor had 1401's
whistle placed on 4501 and now, some 40 plus years later, think of how many
people have heard a real Ps-4 Crescent Limited steam whistle and all have
fond memories of such, right? That's heard in the Smithsonian how many
times by how many people a day?

As long as it is done "in the open" where enough people understand the why
and so forth, then just fine by me. But I also must admit that listening to
that darned hooter coming from a J will be "weird" to say the least.

I was reminded while a car host this past weekend of one "really
knowledgeable" rider from the 1990 period when getting off for a photo
runby and hearing that loud hooter up close and personal of 1218, asked if
the RR could turn the volume down because it hurt her or her child's ears.

So much for knowledgeable riders, right? Then again, there was someone and
actually several someones whom I came into contact with, inquiring whether
the J ran on coal or oil.

Me personally, whenever riding behind it or chasing 1218, it would take
maybe a dozen or more times of hearing it on a particular weekend to get
used that darned hooter which I admit to finding particularly grating to my
hearing ........... but what I wouldn't give to hear it live from the same
engine again.

I'm more amazed that there hasn't been some fool caught in a grade crossing
incident yet, and hopefully that doesn't occur.

Bob Cohen