bristol line

Fri Apr 17 17:59:27 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM,
​Jeff
 wrote:

Any way how many trains use the line a day? Marion seems to have quite a
> few industries that I can see from I 81.

​Took a little time to scan and clean up this list, which might give an
idea of what the local traffic was like 45 years ago. Others who track
things now can give a better idea of traffic now, but it probably isn't
near to what it used to be. There are some through stack trains​ and mixed
frights that make a daily trip up and down the line, plus a local or two
that operate out of Radford and Bristol.

Bruce in Blacksburg

--------------------

This table can also be found at
http://www.brucebharper.info/nwrwy/RadfordDivisionBranches/BristolLineStations.html

>From the "Official List of Open and Prepay Stations" effective November 15,
1969.

* No agent. Except as otherwise provided in Note 8 and in notes referred to
in connection with this station, freight charges to this station must be
prepaid. (See Note 9)

¶ No facilities for handling freight.

Numbers in parenthesis refer to notes listed at bottom of station list.

RADFORD DIVISION
MAIN LINE
1635 Radford (561)
---------------------------
MILES BRANCH
Connects at No 1635
1650 *Miles (561)
---------------------------
MAIN LINE-Continued
Connects at No 1635
1665 *New River (561)
1675 *Dublin (99-561)
1677 *Wysor (1464)
1680 *Wurno (99-561)
1685 Pulaski (561)
---------------------------
NORTH CAROLINA EXTENSION
Connects at No 1685
1705 *Draper (561)
1720 *Hiwassee (131-561)
1725 *All.isonia (561)
1780 *Barren Springs (561)
1795 *Foster Falls (561)
1800 *Jacksons Ferry (99-561)
1810 Austinville (561)
1815 *Ivanhoe (561)
1875 *Buck (561)
1880 *Byllesby (131-561)
1890 ¶Fries Jct
---------------------------
CHESTNUT CREEK BRANCH
Connects at No 1890
1910 *Chestnut Yard (561)
1920 ¶Gossan Jct
---------------------------
GOSSAN MINES SPUR
Connects at No 1920
1935 *Huey Mines (561)
1940 *Big Bumbarger Mines (561)
---------------------------
CHESTNUT CREEK BRANCH-Continued
Connects at No 1920
1955 *Cliffview (561)
1960 Galax (561)
---------------------------
NORTH CAROLINA EXTENSION­Continued
FRIES BRANCH Connects at No 1890
1980 *Fries (99-114-561)
---------------------------
MAIN LINE-Continued
Connects at No 1685
2010 *Gunton Park (561)
2015 *Max Meadows (99-561)
2025 Wytheville (561)
2040 *Crockett (561)
2045 *Rural Retreat (99-561)
2050 *Groseclose (561)
2060 *Atkins (99-561)
2070 *Mt Carmel (Smyth Co) (99-561-803)
2080 *Schuleen (99-561)
2085 Marion (561)
2095 *Copenhaver (561)
2105 *Seven-Mile Ford (99-561)
2110 *Chilhowie (99-561-803)
2120 Glade spring (13-561)
---------------------------
SALTVILLE BRANCH
Connects at No 2120
2150 *Clinchburg (561)
2160 *Plasterco (99-561)
2165 *Saltville (99-561)
---------------------------
MAIN LINE-Continued
Connects at No 2120
2180 *Emory (561)
2185 *Meadow View (99-561)
2187 *Hayter (99-561)
2195 *Ibee (561)
2200 Abingdon (561)
---------------------------
ABINGDON BRANCH
Connects at No 2200
2215 *Watauga (561)
2230 *Alvarado (561)
2250 *Damascus (99-561)
2255 *Laureldale (561)
2265 *Taylor's Valley (561)
2270 Creek Jet (561)
2305 *Green Cove (561)
2310 *Whitetop (561)
2325 *Nella, NC (561)
2340 *Tuckerdale (561)
2350 *Lansing (99-561)
2365 *Warrensville (99-561)
2380 *Company Farm (561)
2385 *Colvards (Ashe Co) (44-561)
2390 West Jefferson (561)
---------------------------
MAIN LINE-Continued
Connects at No 2200
2480 *Wyndale (561)
2485 *Wallace (561)
2488 *Cecil (1021)
2490 Bristol (13-561-904)

8 - Shipments destined to non-agency stations when moving on government
bills of lading may be accepted with charges collect, if facilities are
provided for the delivery of traffic at such stations.

9 - To order (or negotiable) bills of lading and bills of lading covering
shipments consigned in any manner which prohibit the carrier from making
delivery except upon surrender of original bill of lading, written order,
or other document, must not be issued to stations where there are no
freight agents, except as otherwise provided in notes referrenced to in
connection with such stations.

13 - Live Stock Facilities

44 - Shipments for the following stations should be waybilled to the
station shown, subject to the special conditions at each station.
Colvards -> West Jefferson, NC

99 - When consigned to the firms or persons shown in connection with the
following stations shipments, except "Shipper's Order Notify" shipments,
may be forwarded with freight charges "Collect" unless shipments are of
such nature that tariffs or the governing classification require
prepayment. Freight charges will be collected and billing handled by the
agent at the station indicated. Shipments for other consignees will be
governed by conditions shown in connection with each station.

Dublin -- Agent, Pulaski
Boone & Walsh, Inc.
Burlington Industries, Inc.
Colonial Natural Gas Co.
Pulaski Furniture Co.
Trinkle & Dobyns, Inc.

Wurno -- Agent, Pulaski
Champion Veneer Works, Division of U.S. Plywood-Champion Papers, Inc.

Jacksons Ferry -- Agent, Austinville
Mr. Wayne King
Mr. Elmer Parnell

Fries -- Agent, Galax
John Bayne & Company
Green Textile Associates, Inc.
Klear-Knit, Inc.
Kraft Foods, Inc.
Royal Manufacturing Co.
Southern Leigh Textiles

Max Meadows -- Agent, Wytheville
Pargas of Man Meadows, Inc.

Rural Retreat -- Agent, Wytheville
Jones Farm Suuply
Rural Retreat Farm Bureau Co-operative, Inc.
Snead Lumber Co.
Trinkel & Dobyns, Inc.
The Vance Company, Inc.

Atkins -- Agent, Marion
Industrial Welding & Machine Corp.

Mt Carmel (Smyth Co) -- Agent, Marion
Marion Wholesale Co.
Piggly Wiggly Marion Co.

Schuleen -- Agent, Marion
Continental Oil Company
E. P. Ellis

Seven-Mile Ford -- Agent, Marion
Wholesale Lumber & Supply Company

Chilhowie -- Agent, Marion
Snead Lumber Company
Wance Company, Inc.

Plasterco -- Agent, Glade Spring
U. S. Gypsum Co.
Wood Products Co.

Saltville -- Agent, Glade Spring
Central Lumber & Supply, Inc.
Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation

Meadow View -- Agent, Glade Spring
Emory & Henry College

Hayter -- Agent, Abingdon
Hapco Division, Hubbard and Company
Hubbard Aluminum Products Company

Damascus -- Agent, Abingdon
American Cyanamid Company
Brunswick Corporation

Lansing -- Agent, West Jefferson
Lansing Grocery Company
Sprague Electric Company

Warrensville -- Agent, West Jefferson
Sprague Electric Company

114 - "Order notify" and "Collect" shipments may be forwarded to the
following points, when consigned to the persons or firms named. Shipments
for other consignees will be governed by the conditions shown in connection
with each station.

Fries
Washington Mills Co.

131 - Except as specifically indicated in this note shipments for delivery
at the stations shown below will be handled only in accordance with the
conditions shown in alphabetical and geographical sections of this station
list. The following industries located at or near the stations indicated
have made special arrangements for receiving their shipments AT THEIR
SIDINGS as specified below. Shipments for these industries for delivery at
the sidings designated may be forwarded in quantities specified in Note 561
and subject to the conditions shown below. Billing will be handled by the
agent at the station indicated.

Hiwassee -- Agent, Pulaski
Imperial Color & Chemical, Department of Hercules Powder Company, Inc.
(Prepaid or Collect)

Byllesby -- Agent, Ivanhoe
Appalachian Power Company.

561 - Carload freight only will be handled, except as follows:
1. An butbound less than carload shipment weighing 6,000 pounds or more,
from one consignor, will be handled when loaded by the consignor on a
public team track or private industry siding and does not require freight
house handling on the NW.
2. An inbound less than carload shipment weighing 6,000 pounds or more, to
one consignee, will be handled when unloaded by the consignee on a public
team track or private industry siding and does not require freight house
handling on the NW.
3. Less than carload shipments will be handled when loaded in the same car
with a carload shipment if the less than carload shipments are received
from the same consignor and are destined to the same consignee as the
carload shipment.
4. A less than carload shipment of used newsprint cores or used paper
winding cores, being returned from destination to the original point from
which such cores, wound with paper, were shipped in carloads, will be
handled provided such shipment is loaded by the consignor in a car
designated for newsprint loading and route of the return cores is the same
as the reverse route of the inbound car utilized
5. Less than carload shipments being returned from destination to original
consignor and shipping point in equipment that is owned, assigned or leased
by consignor or consignee-provided the LCL shipment is loaded by the
original consignee and unloaded by the original consignor.
6. Less than carload shipments of automobile parts returned to points of
origin via the reverse route of  the inbound shipment in assigned cars will
be handled if loaded by shipper on private tracks.
7. The exceptions in this note on less than carload traffic include less
than carload shipments moving on "any quantity" rates.

803 - "Shippers' Order" and "Collect" shipments (unless such shipments are
of such nature that tariff or governing Classification reguires prepayment)
for the following points, when consigned to the parties named, may be
accepted. Billing will be handled by agent at station indicated. Shipments
for other consignees will be governed by conditions shown in connection
with such station.

Mt Carmel -- Agent, Marion
Evans Distributing Company, Inc.

904 - Prepayment of all charges required on shipments billed to Tennessee
Valley Authority moving on Commercial bills of lading.

1464 - For the handling of shipments specified in Note 561 for the Hercules
Incorporated, or U. S. Government. When so consigned the shipments may be
billed with freight charges collect, waybills to be handled by the agent at
Radford, Va. The Government plant served by this station is known as New
River Area of Radford Army Ammunition Plant.
For the handling of shipments specified in Note 561 for the Burlington
Industries, Inc., and the Staunton River Finishing Co., Newbern Plant,
division of Klopman Mills, Inc., with freight charges either prepaid or
collect. Waybills will be handled by agent at Pulaski, Va.