The K3 Mountains

Tue Feb 10 10:53:40 EST 2015

To follow Ed’s comments.  If the K-3 had been a 2-8-4, there would not have been the rear axle of the lead truck behind the cylinders.  Without that wheel behind cylinder, the space from the cylinder to the throat sheet would have allow 69-inch drivers which would have been easier to counterbalance.  There would have been a corresponding shifting of the driving axles forward as well.

In my interview with C. E. Pond, I asked him if there were any concerns in 1937 with the proposed Class Y-7 having the same cylinder dimensions and driver size being used on the K-3s which gave problems.  He answered (and I paraphrase) – I think we knew a lot more about counterbalancing 10 years later.  There is a lot of truth in his statement when you consider the 58-inch Y-6s were worked at a higher speed then the K-3s were allowed which were known to kink rails above 35 MPH.

Too much emphasis is being placed on the main rod being connected to the third driver.  That was a factor but the driving rod was connected at the crossheads which were placed to the rear of the lead truck wheel behind the cylinder.  This required a shorter rod of almost three feet or so.

Bud Jeffries