Beyond the Appilachians

Thu Feb 5 15:51:12 EST 2015

Just got our standing order of the Arrow for the shop and was interested to see the WM F units in N&W consists in the 70's! When I was working as a Car Knocker at Collier Yard we got numerous N&W trains coming up into the yard for interchange. During the Operation Linebacker 2 in Viet Nam we would get solid trains of bombs, class 'A' explosives, going to Cherry Point. One train had two N&W GP9's leading an A-B set of WM F-7's. Going back light the F-7A was leading, but of course no camera. The cars all had plain bearings so we had to make sure they were well oiled!!!

Walt Gay
Petersburg, VA