two VGN questions

Sun Dec 28 16:43:13 EST 2014

Michael,
It seems that the more answers we get, the more questions are generated!
H. Reid writes in his The Virginian Railway, p.176, that EL-3a 111 was converted to single units 113, 114, & 115 in January 1927. In December 1947, he states that the EL-1a's were converted back to EL-3a #111, remaining that way until the merger. So, according to the date on the inspection report (1952), the 113 did not exist as an individual unit at that time.
However, I have an image of the 113 in 1958. In McClure & Plant's Virginian Railway in Color is also a shot of the 113 in the late 1957, or '58. I have heard that the 113 was used in local freight/work train service during the 1950's. Does anyone have better info on when these units were split up, and reunited?
Jeff Sanders