two VGN questions

Fri Dec 26 11:53:34 EST 2014

14 is probably a typo for 114, which would have been a correct number for one of the "squarehead" electrics, serviced at Mullins.

Jim Nichols

hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas / Hanukkah / etc.

Here
is a new questions for all you N&W/VGN experts:  My brother is one of
those that visits yard and estate sales and is on the lookout for VGN
items.  So as a present this season he sent me a “monthly Locomotive Unit
Inspection and Repair Report” – “ICC form No. 1-A” – elsewhere labeled a “From
1490.”  It reports the March 1952 inspection of “locomotive unit No.
___14___” that was inspected on 5 March 1952 at Mullens.  Item #1 on
the form says “This locomotive unit is propelled by
___electricity___.”  What unit was this?  #14 was one of the
large conveyer cars on the docks – what was it doing in Mullens?  Am I
wrong that none of the electrics were numbered 14?

On
another note, he also sent me a nearly 90 year old VGN “stringer.”
Apparently stringers were long, vertical format descriptions of passenger
specials.  Most (like the one I now have) were holed at the top so they
could hang from a string (hence the name) or hook and be pulled off by
interested consumers.  Usually printed on cheap newsprint and thus did not
last long.  He found this one at a garage sale wound around an old Edison
phonograph cylinder and thus not folded.  This one advertises a 15 June
1926 junket from the mountains to Va Beach, as well as shorter trips just to
Roanoke.  Near the bottom is the notation of “special coaches for colored
people” – reflects the times of its release – both good and bad.  Anything
like this in the archives?

Michael
Ross
Ft