Dunlow station

Sat Mar 22 00:43:55 EDT 2014

The street view feature of Google Maps doesn't show a good image of the station. That back road you mention is the former railroad road bed. It is used as a secondary road that many houses are now built along. It is not continuous as many bridges have been either barricaded or removed. And the tunnel at Genoa has flooded. The state DOT has built a lot of connectors back to 152 where it runs close to the former grade. One such connector is beside the Dunlow station.

There is this image on the on the VT image database that shows the station in service. http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns664.jpeg

The only current image of the Dunlow station I could find on the internet was at a bicyclist's travel blog http://backroadsofindiana.blogspot.com/2013/06/rrrik-2013-five-day-ride-in-se-kentucky_30.html It has a decent picture of the station, but is obscured by a lot of brush. There is a photo of the N&W tunnel at Dingess on that webpage also. I believe this is the "railroad east" portal. He also includes photos of two former N&W bridges that are still in service. These are on Laurel Creek road before it enters Cabwaylingo State Park. Most of the former railroad bridges in the park have been replaced with modern road bridges.

Hope this helps.

Howard Adkins