Branch signaling continued

Sat Nov 9 04:23:43 EST 2013

no, I am a model railroad hobbiest, installing signals on my layout. I have a fairly good understanding of signals, I made a breadboard circuit years ago for a 4 head 2 signal bridge color light, worked but wire wrap wiring...wow, all the ICs and logic behind it.

Today its Digitrax and JMRI, I have a yard ladder I am working on with signals and I understand the issues making your signaling needs.
For JMRI I literally have to program each head for the aspect I want to display, that includes 2 heads. I have multi-railroads for the layout and this includes N&W.
Theres a generality of signal aspects thats clear between all railroads, but each railroad has their own designs how to apply them and interpret them.
N&W signals seem to have a stronger reference for the semaphore signals, its just if you have an aspect display that isnt required on a signal, they don't use the lamps for the non-aspect that does not get used, saves lamps, like the bottom head has only the virtical lamps, its not going to need the angled lamps, or 90 degree lamps.
For the change to color position lights, many signals lost the lower horizontal lights for the single red lamp, while you get the 2 light angled amber indication.
How PRR handle signals, C&NW, NYC, Milw road, the application of the signals varies.

In building my layout I have to make decisions what this signal needs to show for the circumstance, I'm here to learn as well to give advice.

cheers

-Lynn-
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: Branch signaling continued

Lynn, I have to ask the question, are you a present or former train service employee on N&W or NS?

Both Jeff and Jimmy are former employees, Jimmy retired as an Engineer on the Shenandoah Division, Jeff retired as a Yard Conductor.

I have to respect their understanding of the rules, as they worked with them.

Ken Miller