Branch signaling continued

Fri Nov 8 23:38:00 EST 2013

Lynn,
You are on to something but yet, still incorrect. Remember this is CTC
territory, Not only to signals indicate switch positions but also track
conditions and so forth.

This said you need to remember that in figure 5 while YES the switch is
lined for the branch BUT you have a train in the nearest block on the
brach meaning the control point signal CANNOT display any signal more
favorable then STOP or RESTRICTING. This means that the signal one
block back CANNOT display any signal more favorable then APPROACH.

Now say the train on the branch is in the next block away from the
control point, then you would get an DIVERGING APPROACH (Take diverging
route prepared to stop at next signal, etc...) at the interlocking then
at that time you would get APPROACH DIVERGING one block back. Why the
difference? Simple.

The APPROACH DIVERGING only tells the engineer that he is taking a
diverging route at the next signal so that he can bring his train down
to the prescribed speed, but does not tell him to be prepared to stop.

The APPROACH tells the engineer to be prepared to stop at the next
signal, this said unless the train involved has this new magic ability
to stop in a mater of inches, there is no real way that the train would
be exceeding the diverging route speed when he gets to the interlocking
as he is thinking he will be stopping. If he comes up the the control
point and volia he now has a DIVERGING APPROACH or DIVERGING CLEAR then
simply knock the breaks off, of ease off the dynamics and take the
signal, otherwise if you get the STOP, well your stopping...

Nathan
PS Jimmy, the valley just isn't the same since you retired, and Nauman
retired just last week.
Ken, I'm in ham radio and have managed to run across a childhood friend
of yours, Mark Bowers

Nathan Simmons
trainman51 at gmail.com
http://www.t-51.org