Meanwhile back on the Peavine. . .

Wed Oct 30 07:14:14 EDT 2013

Made a return trip to the Cincy district a couple weeks ago and had a few
questions about things I saw and photographed. The first picture shows a
neat sign at Mt. Orab station. The second photo was taken just West of
Sardinia and shows the Eastbound signal I would have expected, but the
Westbound has a marker that I didn't expect to see. My guess is there's a
branch/siding somewhere West of this point that I didn't observe. Anybody
know why the marker is needed here? Third shot is of the base of the
electric cabinet. Notice the bracket at the very bottom extending front to
back on the left side with up-curving ends. I've seen this on a few
cabinets up there but don't remember seeing this type bracket on signals on
other parts of the line. Anybody know the purpose? Fourth picture is East
of Sardinia and shows a moment frozen in time when CPLs were being replaced
by the Southern style signals. The heads of the newer signals were still
turned so they hadn't gone into use yet, but the arms are missing on the
CPLs?! (see next shot). Can anyone supply a timeframe for when this
replacement might have been in progress? Seems as though it might have
been right as the decision was being made to mothball the line. The last
photo is at Seaman and shows that the signals here are capable of showing
the restricting aspect, which is different from the other siding signals
I've encountered. Can anyone comment on why this location may have been
special?
Jim Cochran

Moderator:
http://nwhs.org/wiki/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=577