Interesting segment to model

Fri Sep 27 11:08:27 EDT 2013

The route begins to follow the New River (initially Claytor Lake) several miles closer to Pulaski (between Draper and Delton) than the location of the Hiwassee trestle across the River. This includes 2 high trestles that run parallel to the River on a 2%+ grade headed from Delton to Draper (or toward Pulaski). Along the line over its history there were zinc, lead, and iron ore mines. Additionally there were iron furnaces, chemical, paint pigment, lumber, and furniture industries and lots of agriculture. It had significant traffic for many years including passenger trains pulled by E's and freight trains that at times pulled by Y's. Virtually all of my father's ancestors settled in this area during the 1700's.

Ed Painter Narrows,VA living in Dahlonega,GA