Approach Restricting, was: "Pole and Paddle" semaphores

Tue Aug 6 08:53:27 EDT 2013

I have never seen an approach restricting on a CPL. In fact, I'm not
even sure (being too lazy to go digging through my rule books) that
there is a rule for it on NS. The color light signal is a flashing
yellow, and it can also be a "diverging route approach restricting" by
putting one or more red lights over it. That would be the same as an
approach restricting, but indicating that the train is taking the
diverging route at the current signal as well.

I see them daily. Going from Linwood, NC to Roanoke, via the former
Virginian, trains will always get an approach restricting signal at the
intermediate approaching Hurt (the control point giving access to the
connection track). We also use them (along with the diverging route
variants) for trains entering Linwood yard.

I wonder if different railroads have/had different mentalities when it
comes to operating and the way they look at their train crews. For
example, on NS our signals give us information about the route the train
will take, and crews are expected to know what the required speeds will
be. On CSX, the signals give information about the required speeds, but
not specifically about the route (though of course it can usually be
inferred). I always assumed that NS expects a little more from its
train crews in that sense- they tell us what to do, not how to do it. I
would speculate that N&W and Southern differed in similar ways, to some
degree. Southern seems to have had no problem with an approach
restricting signal, assuming that the train crews would understand the
potential and act accordingly. Basically, if somebody hit that caboose
just beyond the signal, then they weren't running restricted speed in
the first place. It sounds like the N&W assumed the crews would (or at
least might) be speeding and not complying with the signal, so to
prevent the resulting accident they eliminated the potential by
eliminating the signal. Or maybe I'm just reading way too much into the
whole thing.

Ken Rickman

--
Kenneth Rickman