"Pole and Paddle" semaphores

Tue Aug 6 00:11:10 EDT 2013

Ed - Ken -

The "approach restricting" on position lights or CPLs consisted of a
diagonal to the right over a diagonal to the left. I don't know how it
works with color light signals. The supervisors considered it a potential
trap, because a train could pass one expecting the next signal to be
"restricting" and not be prepared to stop immediately, and find a caboose a
couple of carlengths beyond it.

Where is one located on today's NS, and is it a CPL or color light?

EdKing