H-8's, Big Boys, Challengers and Y-6's

Thu Jun 27 17:21:59 EDT 2013

Here are some interesting stats:

H8 on C&O’s .57% Allegheny Mountain: 5750 tons per, total of 11,500 per train, 18 MPH lugging speed (according to Dr. Huddleston).

Y-6 on N&W’s 1% Alleghany Mountain: 5150 tons per, total of 10,300 per train, 15 MPH lugging speed (according to everybody I ever talked to who worked on them). And FWIW, I’ve seen them do it in the rain (under bad rail conditions).

So the 2-6-6-6 was good for 600 tons more on a grade just a little more than half as steep. Big Whoop! And how much more profit did C&O get out of the extra 3 MPH?

Of course, just before the Y-6 got to that grade, it had dragged its 10,300 tons up New River at around 31 MPH. Get your train resistance formula out and turn the crank and tell us what DBHP at the end of the auxiliary tender was necessary for it to do that. Oh, Wait! Dave Stephenson has already done that for you!

55-5600 is all. Just about the same as the H8 put out at that speed. But Wait, again. How many H8s would it have taken to lift that train up to Christiansburg?

On a tractive effort basis, valid at that speed, probably about three. A Big Boy could probably have brought that train up the river at that speed, but two of them would have had to have more help getting up the Mountain with it. (Using Big Boy’s horsepower curve published in Kratville’s book – same DBHP as the Allegheny and the Y-6 at that speed).

But here’s the rub. The Y-6 did it, as Bud Jeffries has so capably pointed out, with a boiler about the size of the J’s.

So you comparison guys can chew on these facts for a while, while I go back to sitting in the corner.

EdKing