A Signal Question for Ben et.al.

Sun Jun 23 19:09:56 EDT 2013

/"//Maybe it has to do with where the signal is placed versus where the
block actually begins. Jim Nichols"

/Jim,
I don't see a number plate on the signal. This would make it a
"Home" signal. If that is the case, the insulated joint should be right
there at the signal. (If this is on the Southern and is not CTC
territory, things may be very different. Which is why I deferred to the
signalmen on the forum.)

Ben,
A two to four second delay would seem about normal. Most signals I
have seen will drop in about the time the second unit passes the signal.
There was one exception that I did notice years ago.

Before the signal changeover, there was a southbound intermediate signal
at about mp H146.3. We had just left Waynesboro after picking up and
setting off. South of the siding at Dupont, I noticed a handbrake
sticking and walked up to the lead unit to get the engineer to stop the
train. When we did stop, we had just past a clear signal at H146.3 by an
engine and a half. I walked back, removed the sticking brake and on
return to the head end noticed that the signal was still showing clear.
I thought that very odd, but, figured that since it was an intermediate
signal (and at that time northbound and southbound intermediates were
staggered and hardly ever side by side) the block joints may be staggered.

In the past few years, changes were made in the rules governing
single unit moves as to block occupancy in order to protect a move that
for whatever reason didn't shunt the track.

Jimmy Lisle